Monday, June 04, 2007

Favourite foods meme

I was tagged by Seay’s Kopitiam a while back and have been procrastinating. Listing my favourite food here in my current place of abode, Germany, isn’t an easy task as I’m not a big fan of sausages and potatoes! And I don’t think that Beer necessarily falls into the “food” category. So as I was struggling to come up with just 1 favourite dish, I decided to list a few of my favourite foods from some of the places that I’ve lived in.

Favourite food from Paris:
Tendon (top left)

My favourite food from here isn’t French but Japanese! I love the tendon (tempura topped rice dish) from Kunitoraya in the heart of Paris. This little Japanese eatery serves up simple but tasty rice and noodle dishes in the midst of a city filled with croissants and confit de canard. The tempura here is perfectly light and crispy without a hint of oiliness and the rice, perfectly steamed firm grains of rice. YUM!

Favourite food from Frankfurt:
Thai red curry (top right)

Just 2 minutes from home, we have a fantastic Thai takeaway that so far, has the spiciest Thai curries in our neighbourhood. For roughly 5 EUR a curry (super cheap by European standards), this vegetarian red curry has everything a red curry should have – chillies and coconut milk, served with perfectly steamed rice!

Favourite food from Home (Malaysian):
Home-cooked char kuay teow (bottom left)

Living a long long way from Malaysia, char kuay teow (fried flat rice noodles) is hard to find here. This has to be my all-time favourite food. Judging from the entries by other bloggers, I’m not the only one that likes char kuay teow! Only problem, when you’re far from Malaysia, the only way of having char kuay teow is to make it yourself! So, I’ve included a photo of my home-cooked char kuay teow, and the perfect accompaniment to the dish: freshly cut chillies!

I’m supposed to tag 5 people but I’ll only tag 4 (I’d love to tag all the blogs that I read though!)! So if you’re interested in doing this meme, please go ahead! Don’t forget to let me know so I can check out drool over your favs as well!

Here are the instructions:

**Start Copy**
Proposition: What is your favorite food in your state or country?
Requirements: Find some info about the food and show delicious pictures of it?
Quantity: FIVE PEOPLE.
Tag Mode: You leave their blog, post link and add yours to the list below.

Mybabybay loves Asam Laksa from Penang, Malaysia
JustMyThoughts loves Penang Char Koay Teow
My Lil Venture loves Laksa Sarawak
Montessorimum loves Teluk Intan Chee Cheong Fun
Chinnee loves Melaka Wan Tan Mee
Leah loves Hakka Lei Cha
Hui Sia loves Crispy Duck Skin from China
Karen loves Pan Mee
Simple American loves Cheese Enchiladas
Giddy Tiger loves Dim Sum
CC loves Turkish Chicken on Rice
Criz Lai loves Sisters Char Koay Teow
Jamy loves a lot of stuff!
colourmecrazy loves tendon

**End Copy**


Here are the 4 bloggers that I'd like to tag :

islandgirl (so I can drool over her photos!)
thelatebloomer (who loves her comfort food!)
samdebretagne (I drool over her cakes!)
baguetteonmytable (is there more to life than biltong?)

13 comments:

Wendz said...

Yes there is way more to life than biltong.....I shall do this with relish!

IslandGirl4Ever2 said...

Oh la la!! I've been TAGGED!!! Oki.. but it may take me a bit to figure this thing out.. I will be happy to write about my favourite foods.. but you know that it will mean MORE photos for you to DROOL over.... heheh.. Did I tell you my specialties are Mexican and Indian cuisine.. along with baking... You'll be sorry.. you'll have to clean all the drool off your keyboard.. better yet.. cover it before you read the post.. -Leesa

matthew said...

mmmmmm Char Koay Teow...
I love it as well.. though can never pronounce it so.. just ask for #2 ;-)

I think thereshould be a law that those yummy flat rice noodles are in every noodle dish !!! i certinly ask to switch when i know i am getting thin egg noodles etc...

CRIZ LAI said...

Whoa...now I know what makes the bloggers all around the world clicked together...it's food :)

Anyway, thanks for dropping by my blog :)

WokandSpoon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ColourMeCrazy said...

Hi Wendz: Hmmm...more to life than biltong...rusks?? Sorry - that's about as far as my knowledge of SA food goes!

Islandgirl: I'm really looking forward to your photos!

Matt: Hehe - i'll have to cook for you when I'm back in August!

Crizlai: Yep - food makes the world go round!

The Late Bloomer said...

Hey, CMC -- meant to tell you that I'm up for this challenge, but it may take me some time because I'm going to have one heck of a hard time choosing just a few of my favorites! There are so many things I love... Plus, the truth of the matter is that I don't have that many photos of my favorite foods, although several possibilities come to mind. So I'm going to keep this on the backburner and try to work on it bit by bit until I'm able to assemble a good post! Thanks for including me.

Your choices look incredible, by the way -- I'm dying to try that tempura at Kunitoraya... After having had some authentic Japanese food recently, it's so hard to go back to the supposed Japanese "eateries" that aren't nearly the same. Although the really good stuff is quite pricey... But good tempura is hard to come by! And that looks amazing. I think I had heard of Kunitoraya before, but I just haven't had a chance yet to go there.

And man, that Thai red curry must be amazing -- and amazingly spicy!!

DestinationMetz said...

what about your favourite Australian food? I'm voting for sausage in bread. Hehe.

ColourMeCrazy said...

LB: There are a couple of places that I like on Rue St. Anne in Paris - Kunitoraya and another place called Korin - I think. I love the Japanese food there. But like you said, Japanese food is definitely not cheap - I think it was from about 10eur to 13eur for a rice bowl dish in Kunitoraya!

DestinationMetz: TIMTAMS!!!

zewt said...

hello there... thanks for dropping by my blog. chose this post to comment as i feel connected... char kuey teow.. haah!

married to a sexy french eh? very fortunate you... take her back to msia... see what she says...

thanks for visitin... hope to hear from ya again...

ColourMeCrazy said...

Hi zewt - yep, the whole word is connected by char kuay teow!!

kayatan said...

Aiya, I thought colormecrazy is a woman ? I did not know is a man ?

ColourMeCrazy said...

Hehe - the last time I looked I was female! No changes since then!