Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Wifey

There’s no way to put this delicately but…I’m bored. Bored stiff. Bored stiff in Frankfurt.

Anyone and everyone I know has been telling me how lucky I am being able to move to a different country, experience a different culture, learn a different language, see new things etc. etc., and I totally agree. I also agree that I’m lucky that I don’t have to face the 9 to 5 slog on a daily basis. However, I’ve realised that I can’t not work. I’m just simply not able to.

Not being able to work here (long story involving visas and contracts) is just about driving me crazy. Sure, Pépé and I left our highly stressed and super fast-paced lifestyle, not to mention the long long LONG work hours as cadres* (the 1 RTT* per month just wasn’t worth it) for seemingly laidback Frankfurt (well, it feels laidback compared to Paris), but going from overworked to not working at all just doesn’t sit well with me.

I feel like I should be doing something productive. Sure, learning German is productive, but I feel like I should be climbing some corporate ladder somewhere, sucking up to some ungrateful superior, taking coffee breaks when I’m not supposed to or even just whinging about having to go to work!

Don’t get me wrong, there are lots of things that I can occupy myself with, for example, learning the articles for German nouns (they have 3 genders, 2 just wasn’t enough), but somehow it just feels like I’m idling the hours away. Maybe it’s my Asian upbringing where the constant climb the corporate ladder, climb the corporate ladder, get a career, get a career has been deeply engrained in my entire being, or maybe it’s just that I feel like a …wife. A stay-at-home wife.

After having played the “I am an independent woman, I make my own money, I can kiss arse and I can climb nice shiny corporate ladders as well as any man can” for nearly 10 years, I am now…a wife.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that. I’m just not used to it.

So if you can excuse me now, I’m going to go Google “How to be a stay-at-home wife”.


* I’m not completely sure how to translate cadre, but in France, it refers to a category of employees, mostly white collar workers who have some kind of diploma to their name. Anyone out there with a better definition?
Anyway, when you’re a cadre, you work more than 35 hours per week but get compensated with 1 RTT (day off) per month.

** RTT = la réduction du temps de travail

4 comments:

dongurigal said...

Wow I can't believe blogspot is still uncensored! Ha ha, I can comment.

I know EXACTLY how you feel. Sorry, being a stay at home wife is dull, no matter how many German articles you master.

I absolutely hate it. It's why I told ole Hubs that next year, I ain't following him to the ends of the earth unless it's to a place where I have equal opportunity for jobs.

matthew said...

whinge whinge whinge.. don't worry your pretty little head over it sweety.. i a sure pepe has it all undercontrol ;-)
I hope you didn't burn his dinner while you were idly typing away
;-)
Hmm as for not having things to do.. I am sure there must be some more cleaning to do, are you sure the house is spotless?... Have you made sure that you are looking your best for pepe's return from a hard days work, After he has been at work all day, its fair to say that the last thing he deserves is an unkept wife...

hehehe ;-)

How quickly i have forgotten my feminist studies ;-)

ColourMeCrazy said...

Dongurial: I didn't actually realise that Blogspot is censored for you! Hmm, add that to your no flush day and you must really be living it up over there!
Is Google censored? Maybe you can join me in Googling "How to be a stay-at-home wife" as well! hehe.

Matt: Hmm, why am I even commenting when I have dishes to do??

IslandGirl4Ever2 said...

Oh my!!! I can understand about not speaking the lang... My advice.. go out exploring.. learn the UBAN..like the Metro.. what is it like where you are- village, town, city? Do you like to take pics? Do you like to walk, exercise, shop?? Ask people if they speak English or French.. Make friends.. Go on to blogs of anglophone women married to Germans or Europeans living in Germany.. see if anyone is close.. Learn new recipes, take some German classes..
I DO know what you mean and I understand COMPLETELY!!!!! I sympathize with you.. But you CAN do stuff to NOT be bored.. WHat about German classes? Maybe you can exchange German classes for French or English lessons!!
Leesa