Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Unromantic Road

May is a great month for long weekends. We had yet another 4-day weekend (Ascension) last weekend so we decided to see a bit more of Germany and headed down the extremely well-beaten tourist path, the Romantic Road.

The 2004 edition of the Lonely Planet Germany says that the Romantic Road in Bavaria “links some of the most picturesque towns and cities in Bavaria”. These picturesque towns include medieval Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Dinkelsbühl, Nordlingen and Harburg. Given my lust for medieval towns, naturally, this was a must-see for me!

Unfortunately, our first stop, the much hyped medieval Rothenburg was a bit of a disappointment. After Carcassonne and Cordes-sur-Ciel, Rothenburg’s overly restored and Disney-like facades just seemed a little “plastic” and somehow unauthentic.
We stayed in Dinkelsbühl, another restored-to-a-squeaky-clean-medieval town. Once again, the town didn’t really look medieval, just….German. Despite the long weekend, there weren’t many tourists around so visiting Dinkelsbühl’s majestic cathedral was extremely pleasant sans crowds.

While walking the streets of Dinkelsbühl, we spotted this house with a mini-me attached to it.
In Nordlingen, well, the most exciting thing about the town was that it’s apparently twinned with Wagga-Wagga in Australia! We didn’t actually take any photos of the town (!), except for this stork and its nest way on top of a restored-medieval house. This is the first time I’ve EVER seen a stork's nest!
Further down the road, we visited Harburg’s castle, which having being rebuilt, reconstructed and restored umpteen times since the original, it could hardly be called medieval!

As for the actual Romantische Straße itself, well, it didn’t leave me feeling very romantic. For most part, it was mostly flat farmland and petits patelins. There were some lovely views at the northern end, and I hear that it gets really pretty close to the southern end (we didn’t get that far) towards Füssen.

5 comments:

Antipodeesse said...

And even Dinkelbühl's name is so cute and well... dinky!

ColourMeCrazy said...

Antipodeesse: Well, it did look dinky as well!

DestinationMetz said...

That's a shame everything was a bit inauthentic. I wonder if that's because so much was destoyed in Germany during the war they've put so much work into restoring their remaining historical sites? I've never been to Germany but I'm hoping to eventually visit my friend Susanne who I believe lives in Bavaria. I'm looking forward to german beer gardens and bratwurst!

ColourMeCrazy said...

Destinationmetz: You know, it's probably a good thing that the towns are so restored - at least they'll be around for centuries to come! Too bad it just looks like Disneyland. And German beer gardens are fantastic! I've been drinking way too much German beer!

IslandGirl4Ever2 said...

What do you mean?? I LOVE Disneyland.. That is why I picked France out of all the countries in Europe... I am from California.. you know.. Just kidding.. I think that they should have made it more natural looking.. NOT like D-land!! It is much more rich in history than D-land.. Your pictures look nice, by the way..
Have you had any ice cream lately??!!! ; ) Leesa