Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Shop till you drop

Although I wouldn’t call myself a girly-girl, I do enjoy a good bout of window and non-window shopping from time to time. Sometimes it’s just an urge to buy something, regardless of whether I actually need anything. This pushes me to go on a huge day-long and sometimes aimless trek through shop after shop in search of something that grabs my eye. Other times, it’s because I actually need would like a new bag or a new dress, which results in yet another long but goal-oriented trek through shop after shop in search of that perfect bag or dress.

Pépé, on the other hand, only shops when he absolutely positively needs something such as a new pair of shoes because his one and only old pair of shoes is literally falling apart. Occasionally, both our needs coincide and we head out for a bout of team-shopping. Team-shopping from previous experience isn’t a good idea but for some reason, we keep forgetting and continue to commit the same crimes.

You see, I will browse through shop after shop until I find what I’m looking for. This sometimes can take a whole day of wandering through shops, picking up several items, trying on several items, not liking several items, heading to the next shop and repeating the process. Pépé tends to head into the first shop, finds something that more or less fits his purpose, purchases it and he’s done. When team-shopping, this just ends up in Pépé breathing louder and louder (on purpose of course) as the day goes on as I browse through rack after rack of brightly coloured garments, handing me any old dress (yellow makes me look sick!) and telling me to just buy something.

For me, it’s not just fulfilling the goal of purchasing, but also the process of getting to that goal (you know, it’s not the destination but the trip…). I like browsing through the racks and shelves, touching different textures and forms, seeing what one store charges for one item and finding it cheaper in another store (bonus!).

Sometimes, despite having a goal (ie. I’m actually looking for something specific), to the horror of Pépé, I come home empty-handed after a long day. However, I can be perfectly happy announcing that I haven’t spent a centime and have actually saved money by not spending! Pépé on the other hand, thinks that I’ve just wasted a whole day by trudging through shop after shop and not even buying anything!

5 comments:

IslandGirl4Ever2 said...

It's funny that you mention this aspect of shopping... I think for women, it is DEFINITELY a entirely different story than for men.. although I have some guy friends who like to shop... But, here.. I don't like any of the fashion styles or the home accessories... I miss my Target... Abercrombie, Sketchers outlet, Old Navy, Roxy, Nordies, Payless, and other favorite mall shops like Bath and Body shop.. I noticed they have some of the same stores here like Gap.. but the quality is worse than in the US.. I don't know why this is, being France and all.. I don't care for the shoe fashion here, either.. Good thing... because I have no doubtably saved several thousand dollars already by NOT shopping... I even miss shopping at Whole Foods, Henry's and Trader Joes...
Hmmmm.. I guess I should NOT complain...

ColourMeCrazy said...

Hehe - yep, you've definitely saved money by not shopping! You know, you can get Roxy in France - I think I've seen a Quicksilver/Roxy store on Rue de Rivoli. There are also Body Shops around! All is not lost! I have to admit though, that I don't mind a bout of Promod myself. The current fashion at the moment is probably good if you want to stock up on maternity wear!

The Late Bloomer said...

Hey, you have comments now! I was wondering why I wasn't able to make any comments here in the past... (Watch out, I'm a crazy-long commenter!) And I wanted to pop in and just say hi. I really enjoy reading your blog and seeing what you're up to -- I should have dropped you an e-mail before.

So glad your move has been going well, sounds like you're settling in... And I can totally relate to your shopping situation -- although my boy would never patiently make it through more than an hour of shopping with me! I'm very indecisive, in shopping as well as in pretty much every other area of my life, so he simply can't put up with it! He's definitely one of those who walks in a place, sees something he likes, tries it on, buys it, and that's it.

Whereas I too need loads of time to think things through, consider the options, the price ranges, etc... And trust me, I wish I could get myself to STOP shopping here in France! I'm pretty much tempted by everything (a salesperson's dream customer...), because I've always loved French fashion, styles and even their approach to packaging in general. I've been a big fan of Petit Bateau for years, and I think it's a shame that the quality has gone downhill. I'm in agreement on that one; I think it's the case with many brands, including Jacadi for children.

But I'm constantly tempted by beauty products, bags and shoes -- ah, the list goes on and on! I do miss some things from back home, like a down-home Target, but trust me, I find my fulfillment here! And there are SO many things that you can't find in the U.S.! (Ironically, I do tend to shop at the Gap too, but the prices are definitely higher -- I try to wait 'til there are some promotions and pick up things then.) I think the fact that there aren't as many sales here actually keeps me from spending even more, to be honest -- and the fact that my shoe size is a bit hard to find! Otherwise, I'd be in even bigger trouble...

Emily said...

Wow. I'm impressed by your patience to browse through racks and racks of items. I am so impatient when it comes to shopping. I hate it. When I need to buy something, I do it as fast as possible. I guess I shopped more when I had my own income too. Now that it's just my husband's, I feel bad spending his money.

ColourMeCrazy said...

LB (Late Bloomer): I have to admit, I was never a shopper or a "real girl" before I moved to Paris...then when I moved over - the shopping beast within me was unleashed! So much choice in everything, bags, clothes, shoes, beauty products, makeup...sorry, that's materialistic me gaining control there! Back in Melbourne, all we had was a handful of affordable clothes and shoe lines but here - it's consumer heaven! As for my man, he has gotten through a whole day of shopping with me - but after about 45 minutes, he starts eyeing the cute girls around to keep himself entertained!
ps. You know, I never realised that my comments were off until a friend mentioned it! Talk about half a brain!

Hi Emily! Yeah, I tend to shop less when I'm not working as well. But he always encouraged me to take time out and have a shopping spree every now and again...everytime he wanted some "alone" time!