Friday, May 11, 2007

Radio Quétaine

quétaine adj. [Canada]

Définition :
De mauvais goût, artificiel, faux, clinquant, de peu de valeur.
Office québécois de la langue française
http://www.granddictionnaire.com/

For English-speakers, go to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_French_lexicon and search for quétaine.


So far, I still haven’t been able to find a decent radio station to listen to in Frankfurt. By decent, I mean something along the lines of Le Mouv in France, or TripleJ back in Australia or even 3RRR in Melbourne. You know, something with a bit of edge, and a little bit of variety.

Who knows, maybe I’m not looking in the right places but Germans, or at least the majority of the population in Frankfurt, seem to be stuck in the 70s and 80s (not the rocking 70s and 80s but the cheesy 70s and 80s)! I always believed that Germans were a hard-rocking nation…but unfortunately, so far, I’ve been disappointed.

Zapping though the various FM stations a couple of weeks ago (I’ve given up since then!) lead me to believe that:

a. No one here listens to the radio so the stations, manned by 50-something-year olds, just do as they please.

b. Germans just can’t get enough of the golden oldies!

Honestly, when was the last time that you listened to John Farnham’s You’re the Voice (this is an Australian thing) and Kylie and Jason's Especially for You on the radio?? I’m pretty sure that even Australian radio stations don’t play this anymore!

Oh sure, hearing these 2 gems over the radio every once in a while doesn’t really hurt, however when you hear them a few times over a couple of days...that’s pretty scary.

At the risk of shocking you even further, I won’t tell you that mullets are REALLY huge here!

Anyway, for those of you who aren’t familiar with John Farnham or Kylie and Jason, enjoy.


John Farnham video from Chaz2727 on YouTube


Kylie and Jason video from marc111 on YouTube

4 comments:

Antipodeesse said...

Poor old Germans: the radio that time forgot! I well remember that dire situation from my days in Munich (1988).

I'm rather appalled that the situation has still not improved!

ColourMeCrazy said...

Antipodeesse: Thanks for stopping by! And yes, radio-wise, not much has changed here - they're stuck in a timewarp!

dongurigal said...

Brief respite from censorship to say I HEART cheesy 80s music.

Oh, you'd hate me. ;-)

ColourMeCrazy said...

Hi Dongurigal - you've got internet again.
Ah, an 90s music fan - you'd HEART Germany in that case! Hehe!