Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Medieval mania

Ever since I’ve been in Europe, I’ve been on a medieval frenzy visiting as many little medieval-type villages as I possibly can. And I’ve uncovered a goldmine here in Germany! Over the weekend, we headed to the Rhine Valley, stopping at a couple of restored burgs (castles) perched on hillsides and a teeny village sandwiched between hilly slopes and river.

First up, was Burg Rheinstein, one of the oldest Rhine castles.


The view from Burg Rheinstein.

Next up, Bacharach. I’m still not sure how to pronounce this, that is, I should use a hard ch or a soft ch. Should it be Ba-sha-rash? Or perhaps Ba-ka-rak? Or maybe a combination of the two, Ba-sha-rak or Ba-ka-rash?
Either way, it was Medieval!


And I had a great big giant cherry beer! So the medieval town looked even more Medieval after that.

We then climbed the hilly slopes behind Bacharach to Burg Stahleck. I’m not a viticulturist (is that a word?) but planting grape vines on an 80˚ slope seems like a whole lot of hard work to me!

Bacharach’s residents live in 2 time zones? It’s about 11h10 on the right side, and 3h on the left side.

I love rooftops.

Last stop, Burg Sooneck, where we had to don extra large floppy bedroom slippers over our shoes to visit the inside of the castle. They should have paid us the admission fee to clean their floors for them!

5 comments:

IslandGirl4Ever2 said...

LOVE the German burgs.... Must have been magnifique, non?? We went to Tourtour and another medieval village near Vidaubon this summer.. I wanted to move there and live in one of those cool medieval village homes.. The only thing... no garden! But, still... VERY COOL!!!!
BTW... the sunflower photos were taken somewhere in the south.. I have no idea anymore but on our way towards La Roche Sur y on from Seignosse... so, it could be anywhere.. Wait til I post my photos from La Venise verte Tchus, Leesa

kayatan said...

Very nice pics !

ColourMeCrazy said...

Islandgirl: I love those little medieval villages in rural France! We went to Cordes-en-Ciel near Toulouse and that was gorgeous.
La Venise Verte - did you go to Coulon?
Kayatan: Thanks!

The Late Bloomer said...

Love these photos! Really gorgeous... Makes me want to see more of Germany, a country I know very little about, having spent most of my time here in France. I did visit Constanz, in the South, right on the border of Austria and Switzerland, a little over a year ago, and I was only there for a week. My boy is half-German (his mother was German), so he misses speaking the language. We may go back again to visit one day soon...

ColourMeCrazy said...

LB: I know very very little of Germany as well - and even less of the language!