Wednesday, May 30, 2007

A girl’s best friend

Contrary to everyone’s belief, diamonds are not a girl’s best friend!

Everyone knows that a girl’s best friend is her trusty handbag (diamonds can’t produce that pack of wet wipes when you step in that dog poo!).

My handbag holds the solution to about 90% of any emergency situation that you could possibly encounter! Let’s see, on an average day, this is what you’ll find in my bag:

wet wipes
tissues
bandaids
purse (containing money, bank cards, carte de séjour, list of things to do)
tampons
1 mini sanitary pad (you never know when you might witness a car accident! This can be used to compress the wound and stop the bleeding…well…um…that’s what my mum-the-nurse tells me)
painkillers
diarrhoea tablets (you never know when you might need these!)
a bottle of water
2 pens
lip gloss (tinted)
lip balm (with sunscreen)
hand cream in a small container
chewing gum (for bad breath days)
sunglasses
2 hair ties
several paperclips
safety pins
a couple of hair clips
notebook/mini diary
a metro/u-bahn map
a book
an i-Pod

and on a rainy day, an umbrella as well.

It sounds like a lot but yes, it does fit in my bag, though opening my bag can be a health hazard. Picture a mini-explosion. You never know what will hit you in the eye as you unzip! And my bag does look like a stuffed hippo!

Anyway, browsing at one of my favourite shoe shops in Paris a few weeks ago resulted in me supersizing my everyday-carry-everything handbag.

Check out the before photo.
And the after photo!

I have to admit, it wasn’t so much the style but the size! Bigger is definitely better!

I now have more space than I know what to do with. Space for the water bottle that I always have with me, space for my sunglasses and case (if ever the sun comes back), space for a gossip magazine, space for a scarf…they all fit in comfortably instead of creating a mini-security scare every time I try to open my bag!

Ah, life is good.

8 comments:

Bee Ean Tee said...

Your bag looks nice. Hey I'm like you always bring a bottle of water.

J.T. said...

Big bags rule! :)

DestinationMetz said...

Nice bags. You're like my sister, she carries everything in her bag, which is great for me when I'm around her "have you got some panadol?" affirmative. "have you got a pen?" "got some paper?" "tissues?" "lip balm?"etc, etc.

IslandGirl4Ever2 said...

Hey... ME TOO!!!!!
Bottle of water, IPod, umbrella, money and cards, etc... lip stuff, paper, pens, etc... I can cram a LOT into my small bags... but the bigger ones ARE better, I admit!! I just don't like to be weighed down in the shoulder and have an achin' back at the end of the day.. hehe!!

kayatan said...

The bag get even bigger when u have babies :)-

ColourMeCrazy said...

Hi Bee: Yep - the water bottle is like my security blanket. I bring it everywhere!

JT: I totally agree!

DestinationMetz: Thanks! Only problem with big bags - takes me ages to find anything in there.

IslandGirl: Hehe - soon I'll need one of those suitcases with wheels to drag all my stuff around!

Kayatan: Hmm...very good point! I will have to start looking for a minisuitcase with wheels in that case! ;-)

The Late Bloomer said...

I totally agree with you, CMC, on how a girl's bag is really her best friend! And I think it's somehow fascinating the way that a bag reflects a gal's personality, too. Of course, when you change your bag often, it might be hard to really discern something, though!

I recently got myself a new bag too, and I think it has become my favorite bag EVAH! I'm lovin' this baby... Often in the past I would get bags that I THOUGHT I liked in the moment, but I may have gotten them on a whim or not thought things through long enough before breaking down. And then after a few months, or even just a few weeks, I seem to get tired of them. But this time around I got just the right size, and I love the shape, the color -- it's perfect!

I'm likin' your new bag, too -- great color. I'm SO into grey these days...

OH, and as to the contents of my bag: they can vary, but I do tend to have a lot of the same things you mentioned. I try to be prepared for emergencies! But I hate it when I run short on kleenex; it always seems to happen at the most inopportune of times.

ColourMeCrazy said...

Hi LB: Grey is my latest black! I keep getting grey things at the moment. Just can't get enough of it! As for bags - I tend to get neutral colours so they go with anything but I wish I was brave enough to get bold and bright clashing colours as I've seen some women do - it can actually look pretty nice.