Friday, April 27, 2007

Ich spreche nicht Deutsch

No, unfortunately I don't speak German, and for some reason, I'm finding it impossible to remember any useful (or not) German phrases either. My vocabulary hasn’t really progressed past dankeshein and gutentag. I spend most of my time apologetically approaching strangers asking if they speak any English or even French. It's therefore a good thing for me that many Germans speak English. I don't ever remember French being this difficult to pick up!

I never thought I'd say this but it’s a total relief to speak French to Pépé when he gets home from work in the evenings. After signing my way through the day to get my message across, an airbus on full throttle couldn't have stopped me from blabbing away in French for 3 hours straight. Well, you know, when you have no TV or German bingo blaring in the background, you have enough material to whinge away for 3 hours.

3 comments:

IslandGirl4Ever2 said...

Did you already speak French when you got to France? I agree that German would be more difficult to learn because at least French is a romance lang. and Eng. has tons of words that are derived from French... about 10,000, I think...
I was frequently at the Starbucks in Montparnasse but not very regularly... but FUNNY.. we may have passed eachother there...
The photos I took of the roses in my last posting were taken yesterday on our street.. It is a long street with many gardens... Very pretty!!

ColourMeCrazy said...

I spoke a very very little bit of French when I first got to France - enough to buy a baguette but not enough to have a decent conversation. Guess I've forgotten all the frustrations of learning a new language.
What about yourself?

Jennifer said...

Your title should be Ich spreche kein Deutsch :)