So, now that our mini-vacation is over, we can sit back and reflect on the rather bitter-sweet-happy-sad holiday, which consisted of the following:
· Mad sweaty road trips in 40C heat with my mum (who was visiting from Melbourne).
· The Loire Valley and fabulous majestic fairytale castles.
· Sun, sand and muddy sea (but no surf) on the coast of the Charente-Maritime.
· Cognac-tasting in none less than Cognac itself.
· Long lazy lunches lasting till 4pm in the afternoon.
· Even longer and lazier dinners finishing past midnight.
· The hunt for the perfect sunflower field.
· Wine tasting and vineyard gazing in St-Emilion in the Bordeaux region.
· Food, drink and even more food and drink for Pépé’s birthday.
· Blistering hot days and stuffy sultry nights.
And after a long tireless fight with illness, the sad passing of Pépé’s aunty.
I feel like the past 2 weeks have taken me from one end of my emotional limits all the way to and past the other end. The 2 weeks have also reminded us that:
A whole other France (a much better one!) exists outside of Paris.
There is never enough time to be with the people that we love.